[NAGDU] Touch training

jean.e.menzies at gmail.com jean.e.menzies at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 20:49:15 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I have a new guide dog named Percy. We received home training in March, and
we are doing very well together.

My question is about Touch. I am teaching him to touch my hand for targeting
and back chaining. But with the touch, he likes to lick my hand instead of
simply touching with his nose. I don't mind the lick per se, but I would
prefer a nose poke into my palm. Ideas?

My goal is to then use Touch to fine-tune back chaining. Right now he will
find a seat or bench or our community mailbox, for example, but will simply
stop beside it or sort of near it. I want him to target these items with his
nose so that if I touch his head, I can find the object. He's not wrong in
stopping alongside things, but I can't always find the object. I want him to
turn so that the item is at his nose. Any ideas?

Jean and Percy