[NAGDU] question about living with dogs

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sat Aug 14 23:54:58 UTC 2021

Hi, Madison.

I'm on my fifth guide dog.  All of them have been in the way and fairly
easy to trip on.  Sometimes, I've realized I should have expected it as
my foot kicked the poor dog, sometimes not.  I don't remember actually
tripping over the dog a lot, but I probably have done it some.  Only
sometimes will the dog move aside from my scary human feet or my
wife's.  What's weird is when I step on a tail or paw and can't tell
right away what this thing is under my foot.

I regard it as a minor nuisance.  I don't have an assigned place for my
dog except when I'm feeding him or, often, when my wife and I are
feeding ourselves.  I don't know whether Sheldon would assign us places
to stay in the house if he could, but I suspect he knows in his way that
we don't mean to step on him.

Sheldon's toys, of course, will not move for us.  Soon after I brought
him home, my wife tripped on one of them as she was climbing the
stairs.  She fell and hurt her finger.  Sheldon came and stood over her
in what looked almost like an effort to help her, one of the many times
he's shown what we call "dog empathy."

I don't know that what I said was any help, but at least you know you're
not alone.

Best!

Al