[NAGDU] Guide Dogs and Babies

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 22:27:45 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to be cute, though I suppose the subject line is pretty
adorable. My fiance and I are expecting a baby in November, our first
baby. I am, of course, excited and terrified all at once. My current,
second, dog is 9 years old and going relatively strong. He seems
unphased by all the changes that have happened thus far. He is a big
yellow labrador who clings to me pretty fiercely. Although I'm not
concerned he will hurt the baby, I am hoping I can find ways to make
the changes easier for him. I just moved, so we are learning a new
area. I am sensitive to his age and want to take care with him as much
as possible.

I have a couple of questions:

Have any of you successfully gone through big transitions with older dogs?

I've heard that some guide dog handlers cannot work their dogs after a
certain point in their pregnancies? Is this common? My dog is large
with a strong pull, but he has slowed down a little bit in the last
year, though nothing I can't or don't want to work with.

Are there ways I should be preparing my dog for baby's arrival? Are
there ways I should introduce him to the baby? Are these questions
silly? Lol

I plan on babywearing as much as possible and figure I can do this
with a dog. Are there baby carriers that make working a dog easier?

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thank you so much for any responses.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of