[NAGDU] almost denied a ride by Uber driver last week

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sun Feb 5 20:46:38 UTC 2023

Last Wednesday, while I was in D.C. for the Washington Seminar, an Uber
driver tried to deny me and my team a ride to one of the congressional
buildings because of my guide dog.  The one of us who'd called Uber
promptly said he'd call 911 and then did it when the driver wouldn't
relent.  After our guy was on the call for a minute or two, the driver
said he'd take us and did.  We were in the car by then; I don't know if
the driver whould have taken off otherwise.

I was relieved, and grateful that our guy acted promptly.  I don't know
what the law says about this behavior by ride share drivers in D.C., or
in my own state, for that matter, but I'll presume our man-on-the-spot does.

I was glad to find that the cabs I took, as well as the Uber cars we
rode in, had decent floor room for my dog.  I've been in many cabs that
were smaller than those matchbox cars we played with as kids.

Al