[NAGDU] Advocacy Around Flying

Sherry Gomes sherry.gomes at outlook.com
Wed Jun 21 21:35:14 UTC 2023

I'd like to know this too. I am not flying anymore, mostly because of this. I do have friends in other areas, and other trips I'd like to take someday, but I don't want to fly and be forced to let the airlines discriminate against me. It seems more and more that people are having different experiences, and that the airlines are making up new rules as they go along. Someone said the airlines demanded a guide dog school ID card, but that isn't in the DOT forms. Someone else had terrible experiences trying to fly to check out universities. A friend of mine who flies multiple times a year to visit me and to visit family in another state has different experiences every time he flies. One time, they'll ask for the forms, another time they won't, things like that. We are second class citizens, maybe third class since other disabled people not using service animals don't have to jump through these hoops. What is NGDU doing about it, or the NFB overall? I got an email a couple months ago asking for people who have decided not to get another dog because of this to let them know. How about people like me who refuse to fly anywhere now? I have other issues with flying due to my fused knee, but these new regs have just made it even more unpleasant and stressful.