[NAGDU] car rental question

Melissa Allman MAllman at seeingeye.org
Tue Nov 7 22:55:30 UTC 2023

Hi Paula. You shouldn't be charged for a little bit of dog hair on the floor of the rental car. Charging fees or deposits to someone because they are accompanied by a service animal is illegal under the ADA. The only situation where you should be charged is if your dog causes damage and the company has a policy of charging for damage in other circumstances. I'd suggest reaching out to the company and letting them know you want to file a discrimination complaint due to the illegally charged fees. We've seen this situation before and often the fees can be dealt with this way. I think it's worth mentioning that it was clear to the agent that your dog was a service animal. If this doesn't work, maybe you could talk to your state Protection and Advocacy Agency since they represent people with disabilities where the legal issue is related to the disability. Perhaps a strongly worded letter from them would resolve it but Hope you don't' even have to go that far. Good luck.

Elissa Allman