[NAGDU] escalators..

Al Elia al.elia at aol.com
Sat Jan 13 17:04:28 UTC 2024

I have heard that some training programs advise not to use escalators. I
have always had dogs trained to go on escalators, which they do with no
problem. To safely navigate an escalator:

1. Step on in the same manner you would when stepping onto a stairway.
Praise your dog while doing this.
2. stand with one foot on the step above or below your other foot so you
can tell when the escalator is reaching the end by the change in height
between your feet.
3. keep your dog on short leash or on handle with your hand near the
back of your butt such that your dog’s front paws are on the same step
as your rearmost foot (leash) or your foremost foot (handle). This
largely depends on your and your dogs comfort and how you and your dog
typically navigate stairs.
4. Praise your dog while on the escalator. This will prime them to get
off and also make them happy to be on/use escalators.
5. As soon as you feel the step height decreasing between your feet, say
“hup” or “forward” or whatever command you use to tell your dog
to move from a standstill or at a curb or what have you. Start walking
as you say hup/forward/etc in case your dog is used to waiting for you
to move before stepping on/off stairs.
5. Praise your dog as you and they stepp off the escalator.

My dog absolutely loves escalators – at the age of 12 he still does a
full-body wag while we’re on them.

I hope this was helpful.

/Æ