[Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior Division - Important action is NEEDED - Calling Nebraska Law Makers!

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:51:03 UTC 2019

Hi You All

RE: This action is to assist NCBVI to get more funding to serve Seniors!

As members of the NFBN Senior Division, we have an opportunity and
obligation to make a difference. The Commission for the Blind is trying to
get more money so that they can provide more services to older Blind
Nebraskans.

What we are being asked to do is: Next Thursday, February 28th, call the
Senators from the appropriations committee. Note, all other divisions and
chapters have their own date for members to call in. If all our division
members call on one day it will make an impact.

When you call ask for the legislative assistant, or if they are not
available just give your pitch to the person who answers the phone, or even
leave a voice mail if no one answers.

If you have questions, call Chris Boone at 269-329-8500.

To help you with your calls, below are two super helpful sections of text.
First, is some sample dialog, and facts that may help you with knowing what
to say (additionally, the attached document will give more usable facts).
Second, at the bottom of this message, you will find the contact information
for the nine Senators on the Appropriations Committee; call them all.

#1 Sample dialog relating to NCBVI'S INDEPENDENT LIVING OLDER BLIND FUNDING
REQUEST:

Hello, my name is (your name) and I represent the National Federation of the
Blind of Nebraska Senior division. I am calling today in support of the
appropriation request for agency 81, the Nebraska Commission for the Blind
and Visually Impaired. This will be heard by the Committee on March 7th, and
the Commission is requesting $540,000 in funding for the services it
provides to older blind Nebraskans. I want you to know that according to our
research, this level of funding will actually result in a long-term cost
savings for Nebraska; teaching blindness skills to blind seniors helps keep
them out of care facilities and contributing to their family and community.

We respectfully request Senator (last-name), support this new funding level.

You can stop there if you like. If you want to say more, try something like
this:

Blindness is the second leading cause for older people to lose their
independence and require nursing home care. Nebraska paid more than 55
million Medicaid dollars to nursing homes in 2017, just for older blind
residents. When someone receives services from the Commission for the Blind,
they can keep living independently, saving the state about $90,000 a year on
nursing home care, and more Medicaid dollars are saved because people no
longer need other support services or assisted living. Besides this, older
people who have regained their independence after blindness comes, continue
to be vital to their home communities, giving back to society in so many
ways. I am a blind person myself, and I have received training in the skills
I need to live a very full life. As an example, here is something I do that
you may not have thought someone who is blind could accomplish: tell your
story here.

These are only suggested talking points. If you have other ideas, go for it.
You are not required to use any of these suggestions. We do ask that you
give your name, and request the senator's support. Please say that you
represent the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska, Senior Division.

#2  Appropriations Committee members and contact info:

Stinner, John; District 48, Gering: 402-471-2802.

Bolz, Kate; District 29, Lincoln: 402-471-2734.

Clements, Robert; District 2, Elmwood: 402-471-2613.

Dorn, Myron; District 30, Beatrice: 402-471-2620.

Erdman, Steve; District 47, Bayard: 402-471-2616.

Hilkemann, Robert; District 4, Omaha: 402-471-2621.

McDonnell, Mike; District 5, Omaha: 402-471-2710.

Vargas, Tony; District 7, Omaha: 402-471-2721.

Wishard, Anna; District 27, Lincoln: 402-471-2632.