[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Updates and Reminders

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:37:42 UTC 2023

Greetings Fellow Federationists!

Welcome to 2023!  I hope the new year is off to a great start for each of
you!  Things have sure been busy planning for the 52nd Annual NFBN State
convention!  We have a couple of things coming up before convention that I
wanted to make you aware of.

It is now a new year which means it's time to pay dues!  Dues to chapters
and divisions is only $10 and can be paid directly to the chapter or
division or through the

Website <https://ne.nfb.org/become-member>

Keep in mind there is a $1.00 processing fee for all online transactions.
Members must pay dues to hold office, vote in meetings and at state
convention.

At the end of this month a few Nebraskans will be traveling to DC for the
annual

Washington Seminar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>

Where they will meet with members of congress to improve the lives of blind
American's!  The three issues we are working on this year are:

Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/websites-and-
software-applications-accessibility-act>

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/medical-devic
e-nonvisual-accessibility-act>

Blind Americans Return to Work Act
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/blind-america
ns-return-work-act>

On Monday, January 30, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern the opening of Washington
Seminar will begin with the Great Gathering-In which can be attended via
Zoom.

Join Zoom Meeting
 <https://zoom.us/j/93463900517> https://zoom.us/j/93463900517

Meeting ID: 934 6390 0517
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,93463900517# US (Washington DC)
+16468769923,,93463900517# US (New York)

Shortly after returning from Washing Seminar, we will have our quarterly
NFBN Board of Directors meeting on Saturday, February 11 starting at 9:00
a.m.  It will be held at the

Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel
<https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/lnkfs-the-lincoln-marriott-cornhusker
-hotel/overview/>

Which is the site of our 2023 state convention March 23-26th.  We will
discuss final convention details and tour the facilities in preparation of
the convention.  Everyone is welcome!

In 63 days, we will all gather for our state convention!  A save the date
announcement was sent earlier this week.  The agenda is filling up and it is
sure to be an excellent convention to celebrate being back in-person!
Registration and room information will be available February 1st, but you
can start making your plans to join us for the kick off of convention on
Thursday, March 23rd with registration packet pick-up and a welcome
reception.  General session will start right away Friday morning!  So, mark
your calendars, start gathering those fantastic door prizes and get ready to
Dream, Dare, Discover!

Now to some other business. Below is a message from Carlos Servan, Executive
Director, Nebraska Commission for the Blind.

At a public hearing in April 2021, it was agreed that the Technology Access
Assurances Clause will be reviewed every odd numbered year. The purpose of
this was to see if there were complaints from consumers on access technology
in State government and/or services. As we are approaching 2023, please let
me know if you have heard from any of your members having issues with access
technology with State government. If things are not accessible, To make a
strong case, I would need to have documentation.

Please E-Mail Carlos at:

carlos.servan at nebraska.gov <mailto:carlos.servan at nebraska.gov>

With any questions or comments.

Finally, I want to thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for your
support over the last few months.  This fall wasn't easy for Jeremy and I
and we couldn't be prouder to be a part of this great organization.  Life is
a rollercoaster ride, but with support from our family and friends nothing
can derail us!

Enjoy a fresh start in 2023 and let's make it a great one!

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska

Cell: (308) 520-9024

Office: (402) 477-7711

E-Mail: president at ne.nfb.org <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org>