[New-hampshire-students] draft minutes oct 24

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 5 02:10:24 UTC 2009

Draft minutes for Oct 24

The NFBNH Board of Directors meeting on Saturday, October 24, 2009.  at the
Red Blazer Restaurant, Concord, was called to order at 1:20 PM. Present were
president Marie Johnson, first VP Carol Holmes, SVP Judy Leavitt, secretary
Ed Meskys, treasurer Marie Jenkins, and board members David Brownell, Julie
Clark, Wayne Harvey, and Steve Yerardi. Absent was board member Donald
Little. Donald was absent because his wife, Julia, is extremely ill with
heart failure and has been in and out of the hospital several times. Guests
included Chelsey Boranleau, Louis Gosselin, Jessy Hook, Jessica & Jim
Leavitt, Sandy Meskys, & Debbie Moore,

We skipped taking the pledges because we were in a public dining room, and
time was short. Julie Clark read the minutes for Secretary Meskys.
Correction: the fund raising dinner was held at St. John's Episcopal Church
in Dunbarton. MSP [moved, seconded, passed] to accept minutes as corrected.

President Johnson asked for feedback showing interest by parents in our
organization and our convention. Steve Yerardi reported continuing interest
by Jess Crofts, but she had a conflict today. Ed Meskys reported continued
interest by Christine Duffley, but he was late in reminding her of today's
meeting. [After the meeting he received an email reporting that because of
illness in her family she missed the Parents' meeting at Perkins and our
meeting. In another email she said that because of illness in her family she
will have to be inactive for about 4 months.] President Johnson said we must
broaden our contacts with parents. We cannot aim a convention at only two
people.

President Johnson announced that she had two-part raffle tickets (we only
need name and phone number), that she had emailed letters for us to show
prospective buyers explaining the purpose of the raffle and listing the
prizes. She will distribute pictures of the quilt later. At the church
supper she & Julie sold $112 tickets. At the end of our meeting she
distributed tickets.

The church supper raised $500, our share being $250.

President Johnson announced that our state convention has been set for Sat,
May 1.

Treasurer's report: $1984.08 checking, $495.70 saving, $2596.40 show account
($1,500 will go to National), $31264.69 money market (Smith Barney),
$11059.34 Morgan Stanley. $3000 will be put in mutual funds, the rest in
CDs. [total is 45900.21]. MSP to accept report. Sunshine fund was empty, so
a collection was taken up.

President Johnson reported on our misunderstandings with National board
member, Ron Gardner, of Utah. He was National Rep to the Maine convention,
and in the same trip stopped in to visit Vermont, and to start a new chapter
in Keene, NH. Even though President Johnson had told him we do already have
a chapter there, he had gotten the wrong impression and started another one.
We are requesting information on the new members, name, eddress, pest office
address, and phone number, in order to integrate them into the affiliate. We
have yet to get this information. The board, as well as Judy Leavitt, past
president of the Keene ("Monadnock Area") chapter, were disconcerted about
this lack of communication before or after the visit. An extenuating
circumstance was our past expressions about the non-viability of the
affiliate or the Monadnock chapter.

Our affiliate is still dickering with National about our annual grant. They
claim we have not submitted the required reports on the previous year's
projects, a prerequisite for this year's grant. We have done so. [Maybe
National lost the report.do we have the materials to re-submit?-ERM]

President Johnson brought up the question of participating in the Washington
Seminar, and the costs involved. We would travel down Saturday so the
students could participate in the student seminar on Sunday, while the rest
could have a free day in Washington. Monday evening we would have the "Great
Gathering In" meeting, and Tuesday we would visit the congressmen during the
day. After making our report for the 6 PM debriefing we would be free to
leave. [was Wednesday intended as another free day with return Thursday, or
for return.-ERM] Marie needed a count of tentative participants to figure
room requirements. Possible participants were Wayne, Chelsey, Steve, Ed &
Sandy, Marie, and Julie. Steve said that the absent Andrew and Carolyn might
also come.

We wrapped with unofficial activities, taking coin & Lakes Region candy
orders, selling dog guide raffle, etc.

Adjourned 3:00 PM

Respectfully submitted, Ed Meskys, secretary

Ed Meskys
NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS
edmeskys @ roadrunner.com