[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Braille transcribing question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Tue Dec 17 15:01:41 UTC 2019

Josh,

I don't know where you are going with these questions, but I know you were thinking of getting an electric Perkins at one point.  If you are thinking that you could justify getting an electric Perkins to start a transcribing business, I'm not sure that will work.  Sahar, who answered your question by saying she has had a transcribing business for twenty-five years or more, will know more about this than I, but from what I know, most blind transcribers succeed by producing braille from documents they are provided by businesses.  They may also scan documents and correct the errors.  This is going to tend to be the case because to use a Perkins will almost certainly mean they have to get the originating document read or some how made accessible to them.  Therefore, the transcribers I know who are blind would have limited use of a Perkins brailler in their business, although there are certainly some uses.

Nevertheless, it seems likely that the main part of a transcribing business for a blind person is going to involve a computer and software.  As you may already know, some software does allow for six key input so you can input braille electronically to get it exactly as you want it.

If you were going to have a transcribing business, at some point you will need an embosser.  Something like the open source embosser you asked about just isn't going to be able to handle the volume, even if you were able to get it built.  While you may not need the fastest embosser in the world, you would need something fast enough to produce what you transcribe in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, it has to be reliable.  You may even need a second embosser so your customers are not kept waiting because your embosser stopped working.  You also need to be able to proofread what you transcribe.  This might mean embossing a copy for yourself or using a braille display.

The point to all of this is that you have to look at any business effort, including a transcribing business, from a broad perspective.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson