[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Having a braille transcriber business

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:25:11 UTC 2019

Hi,
And thanks everyone for confirming my hopes, that blind people can be braille transcribers. As for braille embossers. I plan on my first embosser that I will purchase, will be a $1500 or so braille buddy embosser from irie-at.com  ... It'll take a few months for me to get this all going, and my able savings account will certainly help with this. But I think if I can successfully start a braille transcribing business, it will eventually make the money I need to save up, move out of this small town into a city however long that may take, and then I'll be able to move on to better things. And since this town is mostly full of retired people, if I want to move out I have to do something to make that happen. I also read the demand for braille transcribers is projected to go up by 2025 or so. Therefore this job may, for a little while at least, be something for my son who is sighted to get into if he wants. There are no jobs in this town, so I have to make my own so it seems. If my uncle has his own business as a charter fishing-boat captain in Florida and he built that all on his own--if he can do that then I can with the help of my able savings account save up for and buy what I need and have my own braille transcribing business. The best part is that I've been reading and writing braille since the age of 2 or 3, back in the early to mid 1980s so it should be farely easy for me. Saving the money to buy what I need will take the most time. But that's ok, because I have the time after all.

Josh

Sent from my iPod