[nfb-db] inspirational DB people past or present

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Tue Jul 17 23:54:00 UTC 2012

I was thinking about the first DB person I knew of was Helen Keller. I
had read her autobiography as a child. I had taught myself the manual
alphabet and memorized the Braille alphabet from a Braille alphabet card
even though I didn't know how to produces the Braille. I was inspired by
her for several reasons. She was a woman living in a time when most
women go to college let alone earn a degree. She did. She meet world
leaders and traveled internationally. If we think of the problems
associated with travel today just think late 1900 century and early 2000
century. She did these things as a deaf-blind woman as a result of
contracting rubella.
I still admire her courage.
Does anyone else have a DB person that has inspired or mentored them
past or present that they would be willing to share with the list?
Janice