[nfb-db] Crossing Streets?

Alicia Richards alicianfb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 22:40:29 UTC 2012

Arielle, I can't speak for Kerri, obviously.  Only she knows her own mind on
this.  But I would like to say that I respectfully disagree with your
message.  Yes, while at LCB, the worse that can happen if Kerri misjudges
traffic is that her travel instructor corrects her.  Once gone from LCB, the
worst that can happen if she mis-hears traffic is that she is struck by a
car, resulting in injury or death.  I think of this along the lines of our
sleepshade policy.  We require sleepshades so that a student cannot rely
upon remaining vision.  We want them to learn the alternative techniques of
blindness.  Trying to force Kerri to use unreliable hearing to judge traffic
seems tanttamount to a lot of state Centers I can think of that try to make
students use their unreliable remaining vision to travel.  I equate it to a
travel instructor having a student try to use their vision to tell what
color the light is, when they have a hard time discerning colors, or when
their perception of color may depend on how their eyes are functioning that
day, or the lighting around them, and so forth.  As you and I both know,
that's not safe or effective, and our Centers  don't encourage it.  If Kerri
wishes to continue to pursue trying to cross streets using her hearing, that
is her right, and I support it. But  I also believe she should be allowed to
explore and use the alternative techniques for someone who is hearing
impaired as well as blind if she discovers her hearing is not reliable
enough, and should not be made to feel that her inability to judge traffic
is her fault. It seems that many deaf-blind people have been made to feel
belittled because they could not tell traffic patterns due to their hearing
loss, when that is beyond their control.

I might have once written a reply saying the same thing as yours, actually.
However, if I've learned anything in the past few years, it is that
deaf-blindness is a completely other disability than blindness alone.  As
blind people with hearing, we often don't realize that.  I guarantee you
that prior to three years ago, I never really considered what it would be
like to be blind and also have a hearing loss.  I even saw someone with that
issue go through the Colorado Center while I was there, and like you, I
figured it was just his fear holding him back, or that he wasn't inteligent,
etc.  I thought the CCB program should work for everyone.  It took getting
to know more about deaf-blindness to realize how woefully trained most
blindness Centers are in dealing with it.  There is only one center in this
country that specializes in this.  I wish that were not the case.  I wish
our own centers would be better about educating themselves, because people
who are deaf-blind have the right to training with our philosophy as much as
anyone else does.

Alicia