[nfb-db] Adjusting, and a few questions

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 20:40:20 UTC 2013

April,
I don't have an answer for the doctor forms part of your post. I do want to responde to your post about your denial of your hearing and vision loss.
The loss of any sense can be hard, some of us deal with it in different ways. When a person deals with the loss of two senses, it is doubly hard. Its a griving process, and denial is one of those stages.
In my experience, taking action, getting involved, meeting others, learning, helps the process along. The reason I say this is, again in my experience, over the last two years I have lost 80percent of my hearing. I was blind all of my life. I swing back and forth from being absolutely frustrated to sad to acceptance. Getting involved, learning new skills, talking to others, asking questions, taking action, all give your mind, body and soul something else to work on. And even if that means one or two days you have to force the issue, of just getting out of bed, or getting out of the house, or making a call, or learning a new skill. Of course a counselor who is trained in mental health and the adjustment of disability, can also help.
Your not the only onw in denial, in lossing your vision or your hearing. I know many other deafblind persons who struggle with this on a daily basis, some shut themselves into a house, others do something about, and then a majority of us, are some where in the middle.
I wish I had some great words of wisdom, its a one day at time thing.
I am sure if you keeping on posting about this, you will find that your not alone. Which can help that denial too.

Here is my disclaimer, I am not a counselor, but a social worker. So my advice above is not official.

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone