[nfb-db] Types of hearing loss?

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Fri Mar 21 14:40:25 UTC 2014

When I started school at the age of six is when my parents found out that I
could not hear...from my first grade teacher.  My brother was 15 months
younger than I.  One clue that could have alerted my parents that we had
hearing problems was that we did not speak well.  There were certain sounds
that we did not hear.  For example, the s sound...we learned to read lips
very well and that was how we developed our speaking ability by miming those
lips.  So when someone said 'Sixty- Six' we assumed it was 'Dixie Dix'  That
is how we saw it.  When my first grade teacher told my parents that she
thought I had a hearing problem then it began to dawn on them why we (my
brother and I) spoke the way we did.  When we were tested for hearing, the
audie would sit at the window and we saw the lips and said what he said. It
didn't matter what we heard.  The audie realized that was what we were doing
and came into the sound booth and turned our chair around so we could not
see him.  Smart guy.  (smile)

I can remember being punished because I wasn't listening...well, hello!
(smile)  But my parents could nto afford hearing aids for my brother and I
immediately.  First the doctors thought to take out our tonsils and adenoids
to see if that resolve the hearing issue but it idn't and then two years
later, my mother purchased four hearing aids ..(maico brand) I was 8 and my
brother 7.  We walked out of the building onto a busy street of downtown
Jacksonville and we immediately put our hands over our ears because the
sound was overwhelming!  My mother ushered us back into the building and the
audie had to put tiny holes into the earmolds to relieve the pressure as it
hurt our ears to hear those compressed sounds.

That was in the late 60s and hearing aids have changed dramatically since
then.  Getting better all the time.
Darlene