[nfb-db] About This Group List

sandboxxx at aol.com sandboxxx at aol.com
Fri Mar 21 19:57:53 UTC 2014

Hi Cheri,

I found your comment "Having hearing loss is the only  disability where people get angry at you because you don't understand what they  are saying" thought-provoking. I was hard of hearing all my life, and on reflection realized people were impatient with me but more than anything I just missed a lot. I got very little information from the ambient conversation around me, but had no idea how important it was.

When my speech comprehension plunged as a result of my increased blindness, I got my two Cochlear Implants. Without them I would not be able to understand speech at all. With them I have moderate hearing loss and so still find many people impatient when speaking with me.

I had a lot of angry reactions when my RP made me bump into people constantly. I got a lot of dirty looks. I resisted starting to use the cane, but once I did I was amazed at the lack of dirty looks in my life. What a pleasure.

Isn't it amazing how people without certain handicaps have no idea how to interact with such people? A large proportion of Americans have some kind of a severe disability and yet for some reason the majority prefer to remain ignorant about how to deal with the disabled as normal people and move on with life in a normal way. This comment applied not only to people without disabilities but also to people who may have one or two disabilities and remain totally ignorant about others.

Janet Sand