[nfb-db] College

Delcenia delcenia at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 29 02:52:22 UTC 2015

Hi Jennifer,
Yes it can be challenging at times when we have to do double and sometimes triple duty! But, never give up! Keep pushing to accomplish your goals.

Like others have stated and this is what I did in the past. First make sure you take advantage of what the college offers. Take advantage of the department that help people with a disability. They will provide interpreters or transcribers. Whatever accomodations you need. Talk to the professors and tell them you would like to record the lesson. Take a tape recorder and record as well as the transcriber. Talk to a class mate and develop a study partner - group to discuss and share ideas and what everyone get out of the lesson.  Most of all if you have some hearing request the FM System. This will allow you to focus on what the teacher is saying and ask the teacher to repeat what others are asking or pass the microphone. Yes, it is challenging. However, we have to insist on cooperation and inclusion. Do not wory about whether they have to repeat themselves. Find your mark and learn to have fun in the midst of learning! We have to educate the class while we try to learn ourselves.

While learning tactile and braille is great and will come in time do not let the school talk you into not attending school until you have done this. They should be able to teach you and accommodate you in your current situation. Yes, take a stand for yourself and demand what is due!

As far as the noise. Yes, I understand and it is hard. However, it can be done. While in the classroom and the teacher is talking there should not be a lot of outside noise or interruption. It is ok to say, please be quiet so that I can learn what is being taught or one person talk at a time. Society is seriously lacking the art of communication skills!

I hope this helps and I also would like to know how things turn out. Good Luck!

Delcenia