[NFB-DB] Real-Time Speech to Text Translation

Eric V icdxvfamily at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:35:44 UTC 2018

Hi All,
With hearing aids & the FM system, our high schooler son still hears, but
its become increasingly challenging.
Do any of you have experience, insights, or advice on the use in the
classroom of real-time speech to text translation programs; how good they
are, quirks, logistics, etc, for a blind student who is a fluent/fast
braille reader & braille typist?
Our district’s VI & DHH team is exploring: VZP Digital (
www.vzpdigital.com/reach-higher/) & C-Print: (www.rit.edu/ntid/cprint/)

I imagine that the real time speech converted into text output would be via
his electronic braillenote device, such as a Polaris & that to efficiently
take notes, he could use his Vario & iPhone.

Our team VI & DHH team brought this up & are interested in & willing to
explore this, so presumably the district would support too if it made
sense.

I doubt he would need it for all classes, but it could conceivable be
helpful for some.

I’m wondering if anyone has real-life experience with this. If so, I would
love your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Eric