[Nfb-history] Where do we go from Here, plus Recommendations for Uploading Files

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jul 20 13:25:31 UTC 2010

Tina,

I hear that FTPExplorer is good and very accessible.  However, I do most of the FTP stuff I do through Internet Explorer.  Some of the reason for a choice depends
upon whether there are special FTP needs such as secure FTP on the site you upload to.  I don't know if I have seen any specifics on where recordings should be
uploaded.

I have also started using the free version of DropBox which lets me automatically keep copies of selected files on all of my computers.  You get up to 2 gig of space,
and you get an extra 250MB as I recall if you get referred by someone.  Dropbox also allows you to create a public folder and you can send links to people who do not
have dropbox permitting them to download specific files.  I have found this to be more versatile in my usage than YouSendIt or other such sharing sites.  There would be
less reason to use Dropbox if you do all your work on one computer, though.  In my case, I am always struggling to keep my work computer, my home computer, and my
laptop synchronized so it is great for me.  You can even share folders with other dropbox users, but the storage space counts against both of your limits.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:44:52 -0700, Tina Hansen wrote:

>This list has been so dead that I feel like I need to ask that ever popular question: Where do we go from here with the group? I have a number of recordings that I did
during this year's and last year's National Convention, and I know that a couple people hav said they want to help get the web site off the ground.

>Also, has anyone heard of which file sharing services or FTP clients are best for uploading files, and which are the most accessible? I want to upload my files, both
from this year and last year, up to the site, but don't know which path to take. Should I get an FTP program, or should I just get an account with a file sharing service?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.