[Nfb-history] Proposal and Ideas for Archiving NFB Audio Content

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 03:50:16 UTC 2010

Hello Mike and everyone,

    I'll second that motion. Let's not forget the work involved in marking
up text and editing audio for placement on a Web site. Knowing one's screen
and media player navigation commands goes a long way to managing content
created in large files. If folks want to avail themselves of Web content of
this nature it's their responsibility to have the needed hardware, software,
and computer literacy skills that will allow them to enjoy these offerings.

    I'll also put in a plug to urge folks to consider investing in high-end
recording equipment if we're to produce content worth listening to. Some
folks here in Texas got the third degree from me due to having placed
poorly-produced audio on one of our affiliate Web sites a few months ago.
And this after turning down an offer from me to record the event in function
so it would be of high quality. Mary and I took the plunge last year and
purchased $1000.00 of professional recording equipment. The results of some
of this investment can be heard on our national site: www.nfb.org with more
to come.

            In the past year this equipment has been flown to two NFB events
and will be bused to Dallas for this year's national convention. There are
lots of events worthy of recording. I hope that others in the group will
follow our example and invest in similar equipment so the material we
produce and place on the group and affiliate Web sites will be a pleasure to
hear. I'll be doing six events at this year's national convention two of
which will be historic in nature. The trouble is I don't have the ability to
clone myself and my equipment. This army needs more foot soldiers with
first-class artillery!

Peter Donahue