[Nfb-history] Digitizing Project

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Dec 17 19:31:59 UTC 2013

Tina,

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, as they say, but unless the computer in question has been specifically set up
for audio you may have frustrations.  Also, you will need to isolate the voice output of the screen reader from
the audio stream as well, and you will want to stop Windows sounds.  These things can all be done, but it is hard
to begin to suggest what you should do given that we don't know anything about the library computer's
configuration.  Finally, if your cassette player is not aligned well to the cassettes, you will lose high
frequency sound.  One can't bring back what isn't there.  Since the Man and the Movement is fairly old, the audio
quality may not suffer all that much, though.  However, you could see the latency issue I mentioned where bits of
the recording are missing, and you won't know if that is happening without listening to the whole thing. My point
is just to be sure that you know what to check to avoid wasting a bunch of time.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:29:23 -0800, Tina Hansen wrote:

>I've decided that as my contribution to getting our literature digitized, I will take on The Man and the Movement
and our Christmas programs. I've learned that there is space at my local library that I can use to convert the
material to digital form from tape. My public library has the free Audacity software on its computer.