[Nfb-idaho] Thought everyone should know what was decided. We will certainly be discussing this at our convention. FW: Talking Book Service FY2019 funding

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Mon Feb 26 19:27:33 UTC 2018

From: Ann Joslin [mailto:Ann.Joslin at libraries.idaho.gov]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 7:39 AM
To: Dana Ard
Cc: Sue Walker
Subject: Talking Book Service FY2019 funding

Hi Dana -

You may be aware that the Joint Finance-Appropriations Committee set the
Commission for Libraries' FY2019 appropriation this past Friday. The outcome
isn't what we'd hoped, but it protects the Talking Book Service for the next
year.

Senator Martin made the motion to add $200,000 in state funds, enough to
support TBS staff and operating costs for the first 8 months of FY2019. It
can only be spent if our federal funds are eliminated, and if that is the
case, JFAC will welcome a supplemental request in January 2019 for state
funding for the balance of the fiscal year.

I fully anticipate that we'll be in the same position next year: the
President zeroed out funding for IMLS again in his FY2020 budget, and unless
Congress significantly changes the way it operates, we will be well into
FY2020 before it passes a budget. A couple of legislators have already
offered to help us with a similar request for FY2020, and I believe we can
build on the support we gained this year.

You and members of the Federation for the Blind of Idaho were the earliest
supporters of our request, and I sincerely thank you for articulating how
the Talking Book Service supports your members. I appreciate the ongoing
working relationship between our two organizations, and will keep you
informed as we start formulating our FY2020 budget request later this
spring.

Best regards,

Ann

Ann Joslin