[Nfb-krafters-korner] knitting sock problem

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 25 19:59:56 UTC 2010

Lynda,

It might help if you try a different method for your socks. I have been
teaching myself knitting after losing vision so I did not have any
preconceived ways of doing things. Perhaps if you have to figure out how to
do them without sight instead of "adapting" a method you used before, you'll
be able to conquer them.

I am using a "lifestyle" method of making socks and it isn't a pattern so
much as a way of making the socks. My toe method is a combination of
techniques and I had to redo it about twelve times before ending on
something that works for my foot. I try the sock on as I go and just stop
each section when needed. When I finish the heel and start the leg, I just
make up something that works with the number of stitches I have. The first
pair worked out for a 4x4 cable so I went with that. Once the leg was as
long as I wanted, I did a one or two inch ribbing. On the second sock, I
counted how many cable crosses I had and made sure there was the same on
that one.

My foot is very short but very wide and the toes are almost squared off (6
EEEE). Because of this I only increased on both sides of the toe for a
little while and then just increased on the other side. Now that I have made
this first pair and know this yarn, my next pair I know to make just a tiny
bit shorter before starting the heel. However, I absolutely love these
socks. They are the only pair that I own that do not leave a pattern on my
leg after wearing (yes, even diabetic socks that do not feel tight leave a
mark).

I hope this helps.

Cindy S.