[Nfb-krafters-korner] Thank you

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 15:41:29 UTC 2010

Dixie:

Thank you also.  Glad to get some useful information across.

it is the very new knitters that are the hardest to try and explain it to
because I'm not there to feel the work and even if they do it correctly,
there is that level of uncertainty that keeps people questioning if its
right or not.

As for the slip knot, there are many ways to creat them.  I actually just
kind of twist the yarn in my hands when I make them, but could not find a
way of putting it into words, so had people use a finger.  It can also be
done on 1 knitting needle, or right on a crochet hook.

Then to there is my knitting style, while I do hold the yarn in my left hand
and that is associated with continental knitting, I almost really throw the
yarn over my right needle more than letting the right needle scoop it up so
I truly am some type of weird combination knitter.  Still, I cannot knit the
way Joyce does by holding the yarn in the right hand and letting the right
fingers throw the yarn on the needle.  In any case my style works for me and
that's what I like to tell people -- do what works and is comfortable.
Actually, when I think back to when I was taught the instructor showed me
the positioning of the needles and how the yarn should lay on them, but gave
no advice on how I should hold either the yarn or the needles.  She showed
me the positioning and what I was supposed to create and said do what is
comfortable for you.  That's probably because I had slippery fingers and
like so many new knitters was having trouble holding on to both the needles
and the yarn.

Talk later and let me know if any questions come up.

Eileen

I actually make my slip knots in my hands just manipulating the strands
without using my finger