[Nfb-krafters-korner] Introduction from a New Member

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 03:07:04 UTC 2010

Hello! My name is Jewel. I'm 25 years old, and live in Raliehg, North
Carolina. I am a member of the local NFB. I have been legally blind
for two years, due to a chemical burn to the face that caused
cataracts, cornea scarring, and glaucoma. I see light, shadows, and
colours, and not much else. My hobbies include listening to old time
radio, researching various topics (especially blindness-related),
learning how to draw with the braillwriter and other blind-friendly
methods, and learning about various crafts and art.

In high school, I took three years of art classes, mainly drawing. Now
that I can't see to draw with a pencil and paper, I am learning how to
draw on a Brailewriter. I also purchased a 10 by 10 hole pegboard that
I am using to get ideas for drawing. my hope is to find something more
usable, maybe something like those old pegboards that you put coloured
pegs in and lit it up?

My next project, though, is going to be a scrapbook...I've never done
one, but one of my very good friends is getting married, and I wanted
to make a scrapbook for them as a wedding present. He has agreed to
let me do it. As he is sighted and she is totally blind, I am hoping
to use a combination of visual and tactile bits and pieces to make the
scrapbook.  I also plan to label with both Braille and print. I'm
hoping as I start on this project that I can ask questions and get
tips here.

My current project, and an ongoing one that I hope to continue for a
good while, is a blog on blindness-related topics. It is called
"treasure Chest for the Bling" (since my name is Jewel, I though
treasure chest was appropriate). Currently, the only posts are my
introduction and one about Blind Mice Mart's vault of free
downloadable DVS movies. I am working on four others, and hope to have
a new post at least once a week. The blog can be found at:

blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com

I would love suggestions from anyone who wants. If you have a topic
you want researched, feel free to send me an e-mail with the idea, and
I'll research it and post my findings. Future postings will include
information about online libraries, old time radio (something I
absolutely love), methods of drawing for the blind, NFB's Braille
Share website, and much, much more!

So that's a little about me, and I am sure I'll enjoy this discussion group!

~Jewel