[Nfb-krafters-korner] naalbinding anyone? The needle and the yarn.

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Tue May 25 14:12:47 UTC 2010

To do naalbinding you use a naalbinding needle which is made of hard
wood or ivory or bone or anything else that will make a needle that
looks very much like a number 16 yarn needle.  Some needles are straight
but most have a small curve at one tip.  Some of these needles are
longer or fatter than others. On the other hand, my teacher, Sigurd,
prefers the modern #16 needle.

The wool must be the kind that can be felted (which means clean wool
that is not processed in modern ways that prevent felting) so that the
person adding a new strand can spread the ends of the old and new
thread, put the end of the old wool thread in the mouth and wet it,
remove it, and put the end of the next length of wool in the mouth to
wet it, remove it, and then use the heat of the fingers rubbing them
together to bind them.  This "personal spit" felting technique works,
even if it can taste bad sometimes. It works so well that the socks or
gloves that you are making will have no knots to bother the skin.  As to
the thickness of yarn, it can be any weight you wish as long as it fits
through the needle, will allow felting, and suits your project.

Lorraine Rovig