[Nfb-krafters-korner] the reality of a buisness in selling at festivals

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sun Oct 3 15:05:33 UTC 2010

This is excellent advice. I have been selling fine art for over 30 years
through exhibitions in galleries and museums. I have been doing arts and
crafts festivals and holiday exhibitions for about 10 years, too. Each is an
entirely different market, different expectations of the customers, very
different settings, and have to offer very different items depending on
where the place is and who the customers are that I am hoping to sell my
things to.  It may work extremely well in one place, and absolutely bomb in
the next. It can vary from one day to the next.

Example, recently at  a two day festival, a particular bracelet I make for a
general arts/crafts show is magnetic hematite. I use real hematite, not
manemade imitations such as hemalykite. I use stainless steel wire, and I
use silver clasps. I lay them out on a brilliant yellow suede cloth so the
black shos up the very best possible.  On one day, I barely could sit down
due to so many sales and talking with customers.  The next day, same show, I
sold ZERO from that table no matter how many engagements I had with the
public. What works one day, may not work the next. That is a fact of life
when you are selling your handmade items. And, you only figure it out as you
are out there doing it.

A friend of mine travles to a number of states selling her fabulous carved
sculpture. She goes to very high end markets, which cost a lot just to be
there in a space, without even counting your time, travel expenses, hotel,
ets.  She has told me often, that when she had a great show with lots of
sales, she has found it to be the "kiss of death" to go back to that show.
Through years of experience she has learned if she does well there this
year, next year she will most likely NOT to anything there. Why? I have no
clue. But I know this can be very true.

Just last week, I had a one day fall fstival. I had enormous publicity for
two weeks prior to the show. Was in two local papers with photos and stories
of my work.  Because of this, I set out far more pottery than I normally
would have, and put out far less jewelry.  Yes, you probably guessed it - I
sold ZERO pottery, and lots of jewelry....though thousands had read and saw
my face and my pottery through the newspapers, nobody came to buy it.

Festivals are becoming harder and harder to do, and I do not know if it is
the economy now or what. But everyone I know who does them, and have done
them for many years, is saying the same thing. They are having to produce
more and more things and make less and less money. And, one of the things
that is killing us are the amateurs who sit there with their stuff priced so
low they are certainly not even breaking even, and they will smile and say
"Well, I just like to do this, so that is why my prices are so low."  And,
there are the other people who are doing this for a living and who have to
make a profit, that are being killed by the bozos who are just playing with
it for fun. We see this more and more...at least that is what I see here in
the PA area. How about some of you others who do this kind of selling - what
are you seeing in your areas? The booth spaces are very costly - normally
over $100 - 300 for most shows here, some far more. And, you are dependent
on the weather completely. People do not come to art festivals in storms and
high winds...they stay home...and you cannot stay in business cuz your tent
will be destroyed. So you lose. There is so much to be learned about this
kind of thing and I believe you should probably talk a lot with peopple who
are out there doing it and have been for a long time. Just sayin'
Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976
www.lyndalambert.com