[Nfb-krafters-korner] Introduction

Neva Fairchild nevafairchild at verizon.net
Thu Apr 21 01:00:27 UTC 2011

I am new to the list although I have known about this group for several
years. I met some of you at the 2008 convention in Dallas and am glad to be
connected with others who love to craft. I have always had low vision,
although what I see now is much less than I saw in my youth. I enjoy stamp
art using Stampin Up products and have been stamping for almost 10 years. I
started by making gift tags and although I thought I would never do it, I
have made my own Christmas cards for several years. I started knitting with
a loom about 3 years ago and have mastered only the most basic hat and
scarf. I recently started bead weaving lessons with a friend who teaches
braille to school children but has never taught beading to someone without
vision. It has been a learning experience for both of us. I have learned two
stitches so far; netting & single drop peyote. I am working on a necklace
for myself and a bracelet for my sister. I doubt that bead weaving is
anything I will ever be fast enough at to make items to sell, but it sure is
pretty and looks a lot harder than it actually is. I have always been drawn
to crafts that were naturally doable without vision or adaptable to my
needs. 30 plus years ago, I was an art minor in college and dabbled in
sketching, painting & sculpture. As a young mother I did latch hook, flower
arranging, cake decorating  and lace net darning. As my vision has dwindled,
my art has changed. I love to learn new things and pass ideas along to
others with vision loss. I work for American Foundation for the Blind Center
On Vision Loss in Dallas, Texas and helping people to find answers to their
questions about living successfully with vision loss is my passion. I am
blessed to work in a job that pays me to do what I love to do and in my
spare time I enjoy creating things to sell at my church's annual craft fair.
I don't make much money but I have a lot of fun in the process.

Neva Fairchild
972-416-7039