[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing machine project?

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Mon Feb 14 07:34:10 UTC 2011

Hi Joyce,
I bought my Singer Futura 350 about 2 years ago and love it. I also did
research on-line and was lucky to find this machine locally, since we have a
limited choice of sewing machine brands over here. My machine can do
embroidery as well, and I was looking forward to doing this independently.
However, I found that setting up the machine for doing embroidery does take
a lot of effort and time. I do use the machine for normal sewing with great
success, though. It has dials and buttons and sliders and is an electronic
machine, so it has audible feedback to some extent. I haven't really marked
it in any way, so I'd love some ideas as how I could do this to help me. I
mostly use the foot of the machine as a guide for keeping the fabric
straight. After some trial and error and practice, I can now thread my
machine by myself. It has what is known as an automatic needle threader. I
struggled with this at first, but I can now use this feature with ease. I do
have a small machine needle threader as well, which also works for hand
needles.
The machine has a buttonhole attachment as well, but I have never tried it.
After your description, I think it is high time I try this out, though.
Incidentally, my machine developed a glitch just yesterday, so I will be
trying the buttonhole attachment as soon as I can fix the problem.
Best wishes.
Lindy