[Nfb-krafters-korner] Clay questions

joseli Walter joseli at thezoolady.net
Wed Nov 16 03:49:19 UTC 2011

Answers are below the questions.

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kestrell
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:36 PM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Clay questions

I'm very sorry I missed this, especially as I was hoping to have some
questions answered.

1. Are there particular brands of air-dry clay you would recommend? I have
arthritis in my hands, so I am particularly hoping to find some easy-to-mold
clays. The "sculpt it," clay is fairly soft, but for the most part, clay in
general is something that takes some hand strength.

2. Do various clays vary in the texture while you are working the clay? do
they vary in texture or porousness--is that the correct term?--once they
have dried? Yes. Different brands do have a bit of a different texture both
wet and dry.

3. Can air-dry clays be glazed once they are cured?
NO. but they can be varnished, painted, etc.
4. How long does it typically take air-dry clay to dry completely?
3 to five days sometimes a bit longer depending on the size of the project.

5. Are there any books or Web sites which you can recommend for working with
air-dry clay? How about tools or tool sets which you would recommend to use
with air-dry clay? I don't know of any books, but most clay tools will work
on air dry clay.

Thank you for any answers you can provide, and I'm sorry I have so many
questions.
No problem.

Kestrell