[Nfb-krafters-korner] cutting question

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Mon Sep 5 20:27:19 UTC 2011

Hi there,
This is how I did the cutting for the quilt I made for my daughter a year or
two ago.
My aunt gave me a thin, rigid piece of hard board, similar to those clip
boards one can find in stationery stores. I wasn't particular about the size
of my quilt blocks, but I would think one could have a template or two of
the right size cut at a hardware store if you are planning on doing quite a
few quilt projects.
I then placed this piece of board onto my cutting mat with the fabric either
folded around the board or just placed in one layer on top of the board.
Because the board has a fairly high, rigid edge, I was able to slide my
rotary cutter along it in a perfect straight line. It did take a little
practice, of course, but after I got the hang of how hard to press on the
cutter for the specific fabric, I was able to cut all 9 blocks for my quilt
myself, perfectly straight.
I hope this helps.
Lindy