[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting Life Line - WAS: silky twist yarn and greetings

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 02:43:18 UTC 2012

Hi Candy,

Welcome to the list.  When knitting, I use a life line.  This is when you
use some type of line inserted into your stitches on your needle.  I use a
00 circular needle that is 48 or 60 inches long.  I slide it into each
stitch on my needle and just let it dangle while I continue knitting.  I
like to insert it along either the last row of the pattern repeat or the
first row.  If something goes wrong while I am knitting the next repeat of
the pattern, I can rip back to the life line, insert my working needle into
the stitches on the life line and start re-knitting.

I sometimes work with 2 life lines.  For example, if I am working with a
pattern that has a ten row repeat with the even rows being purled, I will
complete the pattern once.  I then insert the life line through the stitches
of row ten that are on my needle.  Now I knit the pattern for the second
time, and insert a second life line through the stitches of row 10 that are
now on my needle.  After I complete the pattern for the third time, I pull
life line one out and insert it into row ten of the third pattern repeat.
After I complete the pattern for the fourth time, I pull out the life line
that was inserted into row 10 of the second pattern repeat and insert it
into row ten of the fourth pattern repeat.

If you do not want to buy a very thin very long circular needle, you could
try using some type of yarn that feels different than the yarn that you are
knitting with.  While this technique is easier to insert, I find it very
difficult to pick up my stitches off of it when I have to rip back to it.

HTH,
Annette