[Nfb-krafters-korner] knotting cord help

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 02:30:52 UTC 2013

Hi Joyce and others,

Ok, first of all, I made a boo boo. The rattail cord is satin not silk. The
designation of 1mm or 2mm on any cord is the width. I have learned that 1mm
is equivalent to 039Inch Width, but when I tried to use the millimeters to
inches calculator I couldn't get it to work for 2mm, but I would guess twice
as thick?
However, I have been thinking that we are familiar with 2mm, 4mm 6mm and
other sized beads, so this is another clue as to the thickness of the
various cords.

In one article I read the following:
"The 2mm nylon satin cord will make a round 8-strand braid that is around
the thickness of a little finger. The 1mm nylon satin cord will make a round
8-strand braid that is around the size of a pencil."

Also I have learned something about the hemp cord. It is measured in 10lb or
20lb or whatever because this is an indication of the weight it can bear. So
it gives you an idea of how strong the cord is.

 Cathy

Who is meditating on refreshing my skills in macramé one of these days.