[Nfb-krafters-korner] Socks on 4 needles

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 12:12:55 UTC 2013

Actually Linda, you are doing fine.  I know you would not agree with me
right about now, but you are.  When you are knitting with the dp needles
with no sight, you just need to be ever mindful  of where your working yarn
is from your needles to at least a foot from them.  It is so easy for that
dangling yarn to get caught around one of your other points and put itself
in a position to be knitted right into what you are doing.  I have done the
exact same thing you are doing, ripping out, backing up and starting all
over again.  I knit european so I control the yarn with my left hand and the
working needle with my right.  Try before you start each needle to lay your
working yarn so it lays across the next needle to the left, that would be
the next needle to be knit from.  Then when you are done with your current
needle, drape your working yarn over the next needle to be worked.  This
will easily keep your yarn away from the two needles you are currently
knitting.

Last week, I was knitting a child's hat, finishing it off with dp needles.
There was a row of knit stitches between each row of decrease stitches.  I
realized I had skipped one of these knit rows between the decrease rows
about 3 rows down.  I was not a happy camper because I certainly didn't want
to rip the whole thing back down past all the increases to the body of the
hat because I was almost done.  So, I just slowly went backwards row by row,
carefully catching the knit 2 together stitches and seperating them to their
base two stitches as I went until I reached a knit row below the decrease
row in question.  After counting and re-counting the stitches on the 4 dp
needles to be sure I hadn't messed up on those knit 2 together stitches, I
added the missing knit row and finished the little hat off.

I said all of that to tell you this...There is no better teacher than
persistance, repetition and determination.  With all that you have
accomplished since you have only lost your sight about 5 years ago, you are
doing it just fine, I promise, just keep on going.  There really isn't any
special trick to doing it blind, if there is, your doing it and just don't
realize it.  LOL

Hugs,
Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net