[Nfb-krafters-korner] understanding stitch pattern counts: was Looking for a Wavy Knit Pattern

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 26 11:29:41 UTC 2013

Kathy,

Since I do not know what was involved in your pattern, I will make one up
here for the purpose of explaining what is in my head.

Let's say that you are going to knit a scarf that will be made up of 6
cables that are made with a 3 over 3 stitch arrangement.  You plan to leave
2 stitches between the cables and have 4 stitches before the first cable and
after the 6th cable.  What I am about to explain will be how I come up with
the 54 stitch count.  There are many ways to work the numbers, so this is
not the only way.

Each cable repeat requires 8 stitches.  One stitch prior to the cable, 6
stitches for the cable and one stitch following the cable.
There are 6 cable repeats in my pattern, so 6times 8 equals 48.
Since I want a 4 stitch count on both edges of my scarf and I already have
one stitch on the left edge that leads into my cable, I need an additional 3
stitches.  Similarly on the right edge, I already have 1 stitch following
the last cable so I only need 3 more stitches on that edge.  In total I need
6 additional stitches.
So my stitch count would be multiples of 8 stitches plus 6 for a total of 54
stitches.
If I wanted to change the width of my scarf, and have 9 cable repeats, my
stitch count would be 9 times 8 plus 6 for a total of 78 stitches.

HTH,
Annette