[Nfb-krafters-korner] Update on my Website

Amanda Matheny craftyfrugalmom at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 03:49:22 UTC 2014

I'm glad you like the site. I just barely figured out the store thing.
I am using one that's a wordpress plugin called Simple ecommerce. It
seems good but I wrote the developer to ask how to do a few things.

I'm experimenting with themes at the moment. Still working on getting
that the way I want it.

I've been taking my pictures with my iPhone, sending them to myself
via mail and selecting the small option, which is good for display on
a website and not very big, and then I use a free program called JPEG
auto rotater which fixes the problem of the iPhone messing up
orientation. Actually it's not Apple that messes it up but rather a
bunch of windows programs that don't read the tags correctly.

I believe an almost totally blind person can take the pictures, yes. I
don't have a ton of sight myself and I do it, but you may want to get
a sighted person to help just with the first few, so that you can get
the hang of how to position the camera. Once you are comfortable
positioning it and getting a good shot, you can do it yourself. It
just takes a little practice.

I'm not an expert on the visual appealing thing. I do have some sight
but it's deteriorated considerably since I was a kid and my color
vision sucks. However I do remember colors. One cool way to make a
site visually appealing and yet still accessible is to play with the
text and background colors. For example, most sites use white on black
as their high contrast option. However, for someone like me who uses
high contrast but also doesn't want the status quo, or for totally
sighted people that just want a little character on the site, you
might try using a dark blue, like a navy or midnight blue background
color with a bright yellow text color. This will keep the high
contrast look while simultaneously catering to the sighted or
partially sighted community for visual appeal.

If I think of any more tips I think might help, I will send them, but
that's all I have for now.