[Nfb-krafters-korner] Update on my Website

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 05:20:11 UTC 2014

Hi ladies,
Lillie and Amanda you were discussing how to make a website look nice without sacrificing usability
for the blind. I can only speak as a screen reader user, but I have looked around at a number of
sites and asked my jaws to tell me what the font attributes and heading styles are being used on a
variety of sites. What I have noted is that sites use different formatting such as centering,
underlining, bolding for their heading levels. Different sites use various fonts such as Arial or
times new roman etc. on their sites, but normally the font chosen is the same throughout.
. I am sure that these things help to make the site more interesting as well as making it easier to
navigate with these features. I know that when I wrote my newsletters for my garden club, these
things were all important along with the color that has already been mentioned. Of course pictures
are good, but so is clipart. I usually had someone put some of that in to my newsletters as well. I
would guess that most sites have clipart, but I cannot recognize it with jaws.
I have been told that certain fonts are easier for folks to read than are others. Certain colors
are easier on the eyes than others too.  Of course a larger font may be helpful to those with
limited vision. The idea of high contrast colors sounds good as you have mentioned.

Hope this gives you more ideas.
Just throwing out ideas that come to mind at one in the morning.
<sleepy smile>

Cathy F