[Nfb-krafters-korner] colors, charts, opinions, and fashion trends

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 12:30:54 UTC 2014

Hi all --
I think these discussions are interesting but can't always be taken as
gospel -- I mean, beauty is in the eyes of the beholders, and the more
beholders the more opinions.
It is also true that when you combine colors, you are generating an
impression, not just an emotion.  For example, colors can be "warm" or
"cool", and sometimes putting warm and cool together can clash, but other
times the combination gives a different impression, like cool water below a
warm sunset or whatever.
And of course, fashions change so that some color combinations that were
never used at one time, become popular later on -- lkike decorating in blue
and green. I happen to like it, my mother doesn't.
I also was a bit startled the first time I saw bright orange and hot pink
together in the same fabric, but now it's one of my favorite combinations.
Before it looked to me like the pink and the orange were "fighting" for
dominance, but later they worked together for some reason.  The mind is a
strange thing.
Finally, I was always of the opinion that cool colors with lots of blue or
green do not work well with pumpkin or muted orange.  Then I bought myself a
jacket with a colorful print that included not only blues, greens, olive,
and pumpkin orange, but also fuchsia, black, and white.  Sounds awful, but
from a distance it gave a striking autumn impression. I wore that thing all
the time.
I think the people who design some of the prints you find in fabrics are
amazingly talented.
I can't see much any more, only the brighter colors, and only if the color
covers a large area.  But color has always been exciting to me.
Hope this email has some value.
I think the safest bet is to ask at least 2 or 3 sighted friends for an
opinion, if you can't see the colors yourself.
Even then it gets confusing because people don't know what to call some
color shades. In fact, companies that sell clothes and makeup all have
different names for certain shades.
Sorry, I'll end here.
Red and green and white are safe during the holidays.  :)
Happy krafting.
--le