[Nfb-krafters-korner] off topic a question about blindness and how to explain it 2 sided people

knitangelpm knitangelpm at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 01:42:15 UTC 2014

sorry to hear about your twisted ankle my friend
 I live on a street that has three lanes on either side and on the other
Street is a busy street as well with two or three lanes on either side now
however there are some intersections that I'm able to cross in the streets
are not as busy. and that is with a limited hearing I do have without
hearing aids.
 also I do tend to stray as well when I walk I don't walk a straight line
but I'm very careful about my surroundings since I use a white cane and I
know to pay more attention to where I'm at.
 I can cook with some assistance since a lot of times when I cook meat I
need to make sure that it's completely done. rice and vegetables are not as
hard for me since I can do that by feel and taste.
 I have asked on numerous occasions why people just don't allow me to do
what I've normally done before they have come into my life there are times
that I do feel smothered and I know I have said on occasion to my
significant other that there's going to be a day where he's not going to be
here to help me and I need to learn how to do certain task and he needs to
show me
 for instance laundry sorting the laundry to where it's easy for me to
figure out without the aid of a side of person.
 I used to like going to the mall on my own and I had been able to explore
them all without the assistance of others to find my own landmarks and
nowhere to come in or out I have explained this to both him and the other
individuals that lives in the house with me that I'm able to do this
without someone having to help me every time no I am NOT for me with his
neighborhood yet until I can get an orientation mobility instructor to come
out and show me the way. where I used to live everything was within walking
distance and very convenient for me to get to I am at least a couple of
miles from the nearest major cross street in order to find a lot of the
businesses that I am familiar with. but as I said and I'm crying as I write
this with a limited hearing that I have cross the street on my own without
no help
 all I want is just a little bit more independence of my life back but I
won't get that until I have my hearing aids I can take the bus to the area
that I most familiar with but it would take me at least 15 minutes to get
there in a way I never knew it would be so difficult and so hard for me
right now I just felt isolated right now
 even just to take a short walk the lady that I rent from does not
understand why I go by myself I live near a park and that's not too far for
me to walk there's always a lot of families in there with their kids plus
there's a zoo so its not a bad place to go and sit and enjoy the day when I
want to be able to be outside even to just take my crafts with me
 anyway I'm sorry for putting this all upon you all
 maybe I am going a little overboard I don't know but I do miss the things
that I had been used to.

Portia