[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT: using victor stream with bard

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 05:58:36 UTC 2015

Just to let all of you know, there are some nice tutorials on using the new
victor stream. This is how I learned to use mine and this is my first
stream.
I think the tutorials are on the Humanware site. But I am too tired to
search for them right now. however, Here is a link to the FAQ which explains
things quite well.

>From that FAQ here is how to sign up and download bard books to the stream:

How do I register for the NLS BARD service and enable my Stream to play NLS
books?
There are 3 steps to register to the NLS BARD service and authorize your
Victor Reader Stream to play NLS books and magazines.

Step 1 - Apply Online at the NLS BARD website.
Access to the BARD website is restricted to eligible readers. You require a
login id and password to use the BARD service. To apply for your username
and password visit:
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/
Select the link for the BARD application instructions which explain the
criteria for participation. If you qualify, select the link to the BARD
application form. Fill out this enrollment application completely and after
activating the submit button the following page will offer a link to choose
your player. Activate this link and select the Victor Reader Stream from the
resulting list of players. If you are approved to participate, NLS will send
you an e-mail message with your BARD site username and password. If there is
a problem, you will receive a message explaining the problem.
Note: If you forget to select the Victor Reader Stream when applying you can
still go back later after NLS approves your application. Simply log in to
the BARD site with your new username and password and then select Account
Settings to register your Victor Reader Stream.
Please note that your enrollment information will be shared with the
National Library Service, Library of Congress and HumanWare.
Step 2- HumanWare will contact you
Once you have registered your Victor Reader Stream with NLS, NLS will notify
HumanWare. HumanWare will then contact you by email with a link to a
HumanWare web form where you will need to supply your Stream's serial number
to authorize it to play NLS books. Please do not try to complete the
HumanWare web form until you receive our email as we cannot process your
request in advance.

Step 3 - Sending the NLS Authorization Key to You
After you complete the HumanWare web form, HumanWare will respond within 2
working days with a second email. Attached to this email will be an NLS
authorization key file to install on your Stream. The email will contain the
installation instructions. After you install the key file, you will be able
to play NLS downloaded digital talking books and magazines as well as
digital book cartridges.
Note: If your Stream is a model 503 with wireless capabilities and is
configured and connected to a wireless network, the NLS key file will be
downloaded from the HumanWare website and installed on the Stream
automatically with a spoken message that will confirm the key installation.

Once I am registered for NLS BARD service, how do I download a book?
Follow these steps:
Go to the NLS BARD site at https://nlsbard.loc.gov/
Log in to the website by entering your NLS username and password. Note that
both of these are case sensitive.
After login, you will be on the screen to choose books or magazines. You can
search for books by title, author, subject, or keyword. You can find
magazines by title or issue date. The different sections of the page are
marked with headings. Individual books are also separated by heading markers
making it easy to jump from one book to the next with the heading shortcut
keys of your screen reader. The site also has a link to get help on how to
search for books and magazines.
Once you arrive at your chosen book simply click or press ENTER on its
download link.
Your computer will ask if you want to OPEN or SAVE the book. Specify to SAVE
It.
Your computer will then ask where you want to save the downloaded book. The
book download is a single ZIP file containing all the necessary files for
the book. Choose a desired location on your computer where you want to save
NLS books and select the Save button. The download window will then open
showing the progress of the download. After the zip book is downloaded you
will need to unzip and transfer it from your computer to the SD card. See
the section, Transferring ZIP Books to the Stream.

For more information go to:

http://support.humanware.com/en-canada/support/victor_reader_stream_new_gene
ration/victor_reader_stream_new_generation_faq