[NFB-Krafters-Korner] National Federation of the Blind Updates

krafters.division.president at gmail.com krafters.division.president at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:47:16 UTC 2021

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

This time of year, in the weeks leading up to our Washington Seminar, the District of Columbia is always on our minds. For many years, we have visited the House and Senate to further our legislative goals. Though we will gather on the Hill virtually next month, we are holding Congress, first responders and others who walk the halls of the Capitol close in our hearts and minds after last week’s attack. It is unfortunate that we will not have the opportunity to walk the halls of Congress this year to bring the positive spirit of the Federation to those quarters. However, we will have the opportunity to visit with the offices of every member of Congress virtually. In those meetings we will bring the spirit of a common purpose and working together. Our issues are not of one party or another; they do not reflect the priorities of an incoming or outgoing administration. They are issues for every elected official to support. They are driven by a diverse set of blind people from around the country. They are issues that seek to make America a country where we achieve the ideals set forth in our democracy. Together, through our 2021 Washington Seminar, we will contribute to bringing the nation together, moving forward, and raising expectations.

As our chapters begin meeting in 2021 and our affiliate work spins back up, we should be aware of the struggle many members are having due to the many competing stresses in their lives. Let's continue to make our chapter meetings meaningful and full of our priorities, but let's also remember that means having fun and allowing people a safe space to be supported and empowered. Please share your innovative approaches to help create healing and forward progress through our leadership listservs so we all can learn from and support each other.

I want to highlight for you the attached update on our efforts to make the Federation a safe and healthy place for all. If you find you need additional guidance or resources, please reach out and let me know or reach out to our Survivor Task Force.

Critical Actions:

Washington Seminar Fact Sheets and Adjustment to Training Schedule:

Thanks to everyone who participated in last week’s Washington Seminar training. The fact sheets for this year’s Washington Seminar issues ( <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-access> Access Technology Affordability Act,  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-medical-device> Medical Devices Nonvisual Accessibility Act,  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-accessible-websites-act> Accessible Websites Act,  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-accessible> Accessible Voting Act) are now posted to our website. Please note that we have made an adjustment in the 2021 Washington Seminar training schedule. The training on the new appointment and rankings tool has now been rescheduled to Tuesday, January 26, at 8:00 p.m. In addition, we are adding two more optional meetings where you can learn about the legislative issues for the 2021 Washington Seminar. The first of these trainings will be this Thursday, January 14, and the second will be Tuesday, January 19. Meeting presenters are encouraged to attend at least one of these two meetings. The full schedule is below:

Thursday, January 14, 8:00 p.m. eastern – General issue review and questions – open to all meeting presenters

Tuesday, January 19, 8:00 p.m. eastern – General issue review and questions – open to all meeting presenters

Thursday, January 21, 8:00 p.m. eastern – Final issue review and mock meeting

Tuesday, January 26, 8:00 p.m. eastern – Meeting appointments and appointment tool

Thursday, January 28, 8:00 p.m. eastern – Zoom moderator training

The Zoom link for all meetings is  <https://zoom.us/j/7567531013> https://zoom.us/j/7567531013.

Note that members are encouraged to attend only one of the two general issue review and question meetings. In addition, it would be helpful if you have studied the fact sheets before attending one of the meetings.

News:

NFB-NEWSLINE®—Breaking News Sources Available:

NFB-NEWSLINE is a free audio news service for anyone who is blind, low-vision, deafblind, or otherwise print-disabled that offers access to more than five hundred publications, emergency weather alerts, job listings, and more. There are more than forty breaking news sources. Stay informed of the current events happening in our country. Learn more about  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline> nfbnewsline.org.

New Partnership with Getty Images and Tactile Images—Take the Quick Poll:

Getty Images, a world leader in visual communications, and the National Federation of the Blind, America’s civil rights and membership organization of the blind, have partnered with Tactile Images to deliver more than twenty-five million images to the world's blind population at museums, science centers, libraries, schools, and government agencies. Read the  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/getty-images-partners-national-federation-blind-and-tactile-images-deliver-25> new partnership press release. As a start to this initiative, please share and complete the three-question poll:  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tactileimages> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tactileimages.

Scholarship Program–Submit Application Today:

Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Every year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional aspirations. The application process is open and we encourage students to start the process early. Review the  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist> scholarship application checklist and the  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-faqs> scholarship program FAQs. Learn about the eligibility criteria and requirements of the  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program> 2021 scholarship program and start the application process now. The deadline to submit is March 31, 2021.

Walking Alone and Marching Together has been added to NFB-NEWSLINE:

You can now access this book detailing the history of the organized blind movement from 1940 to 1990 on NFB-NEWSLINE. If you are using the telephone access method, off the main menu, press 1 followed by 1 for the NFB National Channel, then follow the prompts to read the book. For those using the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app for iOS, select “All Publications” from the “Information Sources” page and search for Walking Alone and Marching Together to read the book.

Filing a Complaint with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights:

The US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) recently released a short video,  <https://youtu.be/dvxa5dYNKK8> How to File a Complaint, as a resource for anyone seeking to file a discrimination complaint with OCR. Please share this link with students, parents, and other stakeholders in your network.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 18: Braille Readers Are Leaders <https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders>  registration (and page count) deadline
*	January 28: Smart Cities Summit <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/smart-cities-summit> , 12:00-8:00 p.m.
*	February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	February 8: Washington Seminar <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>  Great Gathering-In
*	March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
*	March 31: Scholarship application <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>  deadline
*	April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin>  nominations deadline
*	May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>