[NFB-NM] White Cane Banquet in Albuquerque

Tonia Trapp nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 03:06:41 UTC 2018

August 15, 2018

Dear Friends of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico:

It is that time again for the annual White Cane Banquet of the National
Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM)-this year, hosted by the NFBNM
Albuquerque Chapter. Although this will be a long day for some of you, it
will be an event you will not want to miss. The Banquet will take place on
Saturday, October 20, at the Sheraton Uptown Hotel located at 2600 Louisiana
Blvd. NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico. It will start at noon.

Each year at this time, we celebrate the advantages that we as blind people
have achieved through the passage of civil rights laws such as our New
Mexico White Cane law. This law affords blind people the right to travel
freely throughout our state as well as the right to access public services
without discrimination on the basis of blindness. At our annual White Cane
banquet, we celebrate the progress we have made-as individuals who are blind
and as an organization of the blind.

This year, we are fortunate to have a representative from Southwest Airlines
to speak with us about their efforts to promote accessible air travel and
equal access to their services for the blind. This summer, Southwest
Airlines installed kiosks which are designed to be accessible to blind
passengers. These kiosks should enable us to check in at the Albuquerque
International Sunport without having to solicit the assistance of an airline
employee. To date, Southwest is the only airline here in New Mexico to offer
nonvisual access to their self-check-in kiosks. In the presentation at the
White Cane Banquet, the Southwest representative will provide specific
information about how the accessibility features of the Kiosk will work for
blind passengers, hopefully giving us more confidence to operate these
machines by ourselves.

As you are all aware, there are fewer and fewer human representatives behind
the counters to offer assistance in every major airport in this country.
More and more Kiosks for transportation, information, and check-ins at our
airports are now self-service. We as blind people find ourselves in the
position of having to search from desk to desk to find a live human airline
representative to work with us. Sometimes, we have to ask a fellow passenger
to help us which often forces us to give out information that should remain
private.

We will also hear from The Blind History Lady, Peggy Chong. Over the past
several years, Peggy has presented at state conventions and chapter
meetings-talking about the blind New Mexicans who have gone before us and
how successful they became long before there was financial assistance from
the rehabilitation system or proper blindness training in our state. This
year, Peggy will tell the story of a blind mother who fought for years to
adopt a child inNew Mexico. She was a successful woman, but she was forced
to prove herself over and over again.

Peggy will also tell us the true story of a blind man who died one of the
richest men in New Mexico. For more than 25 years as a person who was
blind, he built his fortune. How did he do that? Come and find out.

This will be the last opportunity to listen to Peggy Chong, The Blind
History Lady, in person. She will be relocating to Colorado.

To make your reservations for the 2018 White Cane Banquet, send the
registration form that accompanies this letter, along with your check
payable to the NFBNM Albuquerque Chapter, to Tara Chaves, President, NFBNM
Albuquerque Chapter, 4000 Hendrix Rd. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110. Checks
should be received no later than Friday, October 12, 2018. You can choose
between a chicken plate and a vegetarian plate. Please indicate your
preference on the form.

We look forward to seeing you on October 20.

Sincerely,

Peggy Chong

White Cane Banquet Chair

2018 NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEW MEXICO
ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER
WHITE CANE BANQUET
Saturday, October 20
Noon to 2:00 PM
Sheraton Uptown Hotel
2600 Louisiana Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM

The NFBNM Albuquerque Chapter will hold the annual White Cane banquet on
Saturday, October 20, 2018 from noon to 2:00 PM at the Sheraton Uptown
Hotel.  Plan to arrive between 11:30 and 11:45 so we can start on time.

Please complete the information below legibly and return it to Tara Chavez
along with your check, made payable to the NFBNM Albuquerque Chapter.  You
can enter the information electronically and then print it to be mailed.  Or
print this form and fill the information in by hand. Please include the
names of ALL persons included in the reservation.   No reservations will be
confirmed without your check for $25 per person.

Name: 1.

                2.

                3.

                4.

Address:

Phone:

Email:

Number of guests:_______ $25 each.  Total amount enclosed:$______________

Make checks payable to the NFBNM Albuquerque Chapter.

Mail your registration form and checks before October 12, 2018, to:

Tara Chavez

4000 Hendrix Rd. NE

Albuquerque, NM 87110

Phone: 505-328-3349