[NFB-NM] FW: Important reminders - September 30 deadlines

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:19:30 UTC 2020

Best wishes,

From: Trapp, Greg, CFB <Greg.Trapp at state.nm.us>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 6:07 PM
To: 'nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com' <nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com>
Subject: FW: Important reminders - September 30 deadlines

From: Ellen Pinnes [mailto:EPinnes at msn.com]
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 6:04 PM
To: Ellen Pinnes
Subject: [EXT] Important reminders - September 30 deadlines

This message is from Ellen Pinnes and The Disability Coalition.

* * * * * * *

Two very important reminders to take action by September 30 if you haven't
already - respond to the Census and request your $500 per child CARES Act
rebate payments.

Census

The Census is the once-every-ten-years count of the entire U.S. population
that's required by the Constitution.  We need to make sure that everyone in
New Mexico is counted so we can be sure that our state and our local
communities get the federal funding we should.  That money is used to
support important services like health care, public safety, transportation
and many others.  For every person who isn't counted, we could lose $3,000
each year.  With billions of dollars at stake, we all have to be sure to be
counted!

New Mexico's response rate is still one of the lowest in the country.  To
change that, we ALL have to respond to the Census.  The Trump Administration
has directed that the count end early (September 30).  That date may be
extended due to court challenges but don't wait - if you haven't been
counted yet, do that now!

Providing your information for the count is easy, and completing the
questionnaire takes only 10 minutes or less.

*	To respond online, go to https://my2020census.gov.  The
questionnaire is available in numerous languages - go to the bottom of the
screen and select if you prefer to answer in a language other than English.

*	You can also respond by phone by calling 844-330-2020.  For
languages other than English, go to
https://2020census.gov/en/ways-to-respond/responding-by-phone.html and find
the phone number for the language you prefer to use.
*	For more information and answers to questions you may have, go to
https://2020census.gov/en/ways-to-respond.html <about:blank> .  You can also
preview the questions there if you want to see what they are (and why
they're being asked) before you complete the questionnaire

There's no question about citizenship in the Census.  And all information
you provide is confidential and cannot be used against you in any way.

We need to make sure the disability community - and all New Mexicans - are
fully counted in the 2020 Census, so if you haven't yet responded, do it by
September 30!

CARES Act economic impact payments for children under age 17

September 30 is also the deadline for recipients of Social Security, SSI, VA
or Railroad Retirement benefits who have not yet received or registered for
the $500 per child CARES Act rebates to sign up and get the money this fall.
Those payments will be sent out in October.  If you don't sign up to get
them this year, you'll have to wait until tax filing season next spring.

If you already got the payment for your kids, or if you've already signed
up, you don't need to do anything more.  If you haven't done that yet, go to
the IRS website at
http://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here
<about:blank>  by September 30 and click on the link "Enter Your
Information" (look for the blue box in the middle of the page).

* * * * * * *

The Disability Coalition is funded in part by the
New Mexico Developmental Disabilities Planning Council
through Federal Program funding.
Additional funding is provided by
The Arc of New Mexico, Disability Rights New Mexico,
the Independent Living Resource Center, and New Vistas.

If you prefer not to receive emails from
The Disability Coalition,
please send a message to EPinnes at msn.com <mailto:EPinnes at msn.com>
with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.