[Nfb-science] Xilinx

Alysha Jeans anj2 at rice.edu
Mon Oct 12 02:03:41 UTC 2009

John,
In your experience, has any part of this software worked with JAWS? For
instance, it seems to me that it should be a simple matter to enter Verilog
code into a text box, but when I try to do it in Xilinx, JAWS won't read
anything I have typed. I considered typing out my code in another text
editor and then having someone help me paste it into Xilinx, but my
professor thinks that would be much more difficult since I would lose a lot
of the functionality of Xilinx (compiling as you go, checking syntax, etc.).
When you work with a sighted person, do you dictate code to them? I've never
tried doing that before, and I think it sounds a bit difficult.
Also, I know how to go about getting a reader/scribe/lab assistant in
college, but I'm a senior this year, and I'm looking for jobs for next year.
How do you handle situations where you need sighted assistance in the
workplace? I have no idea as to the best way to go about discussing this
with employers, finding a suitable person to work with, and figuring out how
that person is going to get paid in a context other than college. Of course,
it would be ideal for me to get a job where I needed minimal to no sighted
assistance, but I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences in
this area.

Thanks,
Alysha