[Nfb-science] Braille Displays

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 6 16:02:58 UTC 2010

Hello,
I would prioritize according to my own experience in math and science, access technology from most important to least important (or last to buy) as follows:
Notetaker with braille display and speech output: With a volunteer reader, you can take notes on anything including a print math textbook. You can read your own notes and be ready for an exam.
A screen reader program:  e-mail is part of almost every academic and professional setting.  You will have to have access to it.  For blackboard and technical web pages containing science and math material, you will probably need the sighted assistant mentioned earlier.
A braille embosser with a speed of 50 characters per second or higher:  In my statistics class, I send to hard copy braille all of the class notes, all prior year exams, and all problem set solutions.  These I kept in 3-ring binders for quick reference in open book exams or for studying a few days prior to a closed book exam
A refreshable braille display: Note that the refreshable braille display enters the picture after acquiring a braille embosser.
In college I used the refreshable braille display to preview braille before sending it to the braille embosser.  Is this the 10 page file of mathematics I want to emboss? I could have just sent the file and watched the embosser output for verification, but the refreshable braille display saved time.
With the refreshable braille display, I have found comparing numbers with many digits of precision easier than with speech.
I used the refreshable braille display in college to write software to better format latex in a fashion closer to the nemeth braille code.
I used it during my matlab signal processing design projects.
I used it exclusively in my electrical engineering internships after my sophomore and junior years.  In one internship I programmed in matlab and assembly language complex mathematics.
The refreshable braille display helped a lot.
In the other internship I did plain vanilla software programming.  I could have done that programming with the knowledge I know now using speech alone.
However, at my first full-time job, I was in the thick of it with math-intensive complex software design tasks.  The familiarity of working with a braille display helped me ramp up quickly in this assignment.

I have worked with many blind scientists and engineers over the years.  Some use speech exclusively in their jobs.  Others have a large dependence on refreshable braille.
Each of us will find our own way in balancing the use of speech and braille.
My general observation is that the refreshable braile display plays a more important role in work than it does for being a student.
But since being a student means earning internships and getting yourself prepared for work, you should give refreshable braille a try before getting to the work setting or have a definite plan for how to get it once lining up a job opportunity that will make use of it.
I really appreciate the discussion and personal experiences about the use of speech, braille, and refreshable braille.
I have found that those successful in science who are blind each has a very unique approach compared to others about blindness techniques.
Very best,
John