[Nfb-science] excel question using the "if" function

cheryl fogle cfogle at unm.edu
Mon Sep 6 20:11:24 UTC 2010

Hi list.

Can anyone who uses excel well write me off list at
cfogle at unm.edu
   I'm having some trouble setting up function arguments in excel to
highlight values that are either less-than or greater-than the 95%
confidence interval of the mean.  I already calculated the 95% confidence
limits but with 360 data points, I want a way to make excel highlight values
that are outside of the range specified by the confidence function. This is
for several measurements and multiple samples.  So far I haven't found the
info in the help file but will keep looking :)

I'm trying to get a numerical solution that will allow me to quickly spot
possible outliers.  My sighted colleagues are eyeballing scatter plots and
though I can get the university to make tactile plots, it will take at least
a week and I'm looking for a more precise solution that will allow me to
order the data in a manner that makes sense to me. Thanks.

Cheryl Fogle