[NFB-Science] details of dropping in a table in PowerPoint and presenting with Slide Show mode

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:32:12 UTC 2023

Hello,
I am trying to get a feel for how to work in PowerPoint from Office 365.
This means I am both making and presenting Powerpoints using Jaws 2023.
Before I talk about how to enjoy the attached Powerpoint with Jaws, I want to mention that I created the table on slide 3 in Matlab as a .csv file, let's say tableSlide3.csv.
I could have easily opened the file tableSlide3.csv
with notepad and entered all the data in the file using notepad.
Making sure the file is saved and closed, I opened the file tableSlide3.csv in Excel.
I selected all of the table with control + a and copied with control + c.
This method only works if the only data in the Excel file is the table.
There are other ways to copy data out of Excel when there are multiple Excel worksheets and multiple tables in one Excel file.
I moved back to my in progress PowerPoint. When the content object was in focus for where I wanted the table I did a control + v and saved the PowerPoint.
The table with all 8 rows and 3 columns is now in the PowerPoint presentation.

The general work flow at my company is that during a meeting over Microsoft teams someone shares their screen and presents a PowerPoint presentation.
Recently I have presented a PowerPoint to my peers during the meeting. I had a little help from my sighted assistant to dress up some of the text boxes for that presentation.
Many of the text boxes I created myself.
Rather than relying on my notes in notepad this time I presented using what I saw on the braille display from the Slide Show mode of the PowerPoint application.
PowerPoint and Jaws behaved well. No crashing and no freezing so the presentation went smoothly.
It is an approach I will be using again.

In my case a colleague opened the PowerPoint and did the screen share. I could have done screen share but wanted the transition from me starting and me releasing the screen share to go quite smoothly.
So I will try starting and stopping the screen share at a future time.

Please find the attached PowerPoint about Pythagorean triples attached.

You can launch the Slide Show mode of PowerPoint by first opening the file.
At this point since I am using refreshable braille I give the Jaws layered command speech on demand with insert + spacebar and then s.
This is exactly what I do when presenting in a meeting.
I would probably keep speech on if I was not presenting.

Then I press F5 to start the Slide Show.
For me the attached presentation opens with a blank notes section.
I press spacebar to go to the next slide which is slide 2.
Then I press backspace to go back to slide 1 where I wanted to be.
In Slide Show mode I can go to the beginning of the current slide with control + home.
I can go to the end of the current slide with control + end.
If speech is on, I have to press control to interrupt speech before arrowing to a specific line or entry.

I arrow down through each slide.
If the braille does not update after a down-arrow I am at the bottom of the slide.
In this case I advance to the next slide with spacebar.
On slide 3 I land in row 1 column 1 of a table.
At this point I give the Jaws command layered table with insert + spacebar and then t.
At this point I can review the table moving 1 cell at a time.
I move 1 cell at a time across a row with left-arrow and right-arrow.
I can move 1 cell at a time up and down columns with up-arrow and down-arrow.
The braille display shows the row and column of the current cell at the left margin and then the data in the cell.
I pressed insert + spacebar t I believe to end table view mode.

I pressed insert + spacebar s to end speech on demand.
Very best,
John