[NFB-Science] High school student who is blind taking an engineering course concerns of teacher

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Wed Apr 24 01:49:02 UTC 2024

Shai,

I am an engineer and have been blind since birth. Meaning that I took math,
science, and engineering courses--including statics in college.

The most effective and low tech solution for your student is to use tactile
graphics, both:
1. ones that are prepared with printed material used by sighted classmates
(handouts, the textbook, etc.)
2. graphics that your student can draw on on a tactile drawing board
Prepared graphics can be placed on a tactile drawing board for the student
to add to, just as his sighted students do with a pen.

If some more high tech solution is needed, please let us know, and I and
many on this list can provide further suggestions.

Best to you and your student,
Nathanael Wales