[Nfb-seniors] Dolphin Guide - Press Release

Jerry Swerdlick jswerdlick at evas.com
Tue Mar 17 13:53:50 UTC 2009

Press Release

Worcester, UK March 17, 2009 -- Dolphin Computer
Access announce the appointment of two US master
distributors for Dolphin Guide and the release of
Dolphin Guide version 5 at CSUN, the 24th Annual
International Technology and Persons with
Disabilities Conference March 16th - 21st, in Los Angeles, CA.

Version 5 extends Dolphin Guide’s effortless
support for low vision and blind seniors, or
other people that want to use a computer, but who
struggle with the complexity of the modern
computer.  Steve Bennett, International Sales
Director for Dolphin Computer Access explains

“Dolphin Guide removes the common computing fears
and frustrations by presenting a simple menu
system that sits on top of Windows, protecting
the user from the more complex Windows
interface.  Users are accompanied by a reassuring
human sounding voice that confirms every step
taken, and with the option to magnify the screen
also, Dolphin Guide delivers an environment in
which our users can gain the confidence they need to succeed.”

The launch of Dolphin Guide version 5 follows the
successful integration of Software Express into
the Dolphin Computer Access group following their acquisition in November 2008.

“We are delighted to announce that we have
appointed two US master distributors for Dolphin
Guide; EVAS & Access Ingenuity.  Both companies
were the clear choice given their proven
expertise in access technology and their
excellent track record of first class customer
support.  Both are essential criteria for our
Dolphin Guide users and were therefore paramount in our decision making.”

As master distributor for the West Coast, Access
Ingenuity will support users in their home state
of California, as well as Washington, Oregon and
Hawaii.  EVAS is appointed as master distributor
on the East Coast supporting users in Rhode Island and the remaining 45 states.

Jerry Swerdlick, President of EVAS explains why
EVAS is so committed to Dolphin Guide.

“We recognize there is a very large portion of
the visually impaired population that have never
been taught to use a computer.  Yet these people,
frequently seniors and baby boomers, want to
email their family, write and read their own
correspondence and generally maintain their own independence.

We are really excited to be delivering Dolphin
Guide to empower our low vision and blind users,
enabling them to send and receive email, write
and print letters, scan and read documents,
browse the internet, and now with version 5, instant message.”

Michael Parker, President of Access Ingenuity
explains:  “We are very thrilled to be working
with Dolphin Computer Access on the distribution
of Dolphin Guide.  We are already getting
enquiries from all over the west coast and are
now starting to establish our dealer & reseller network.”

Dolphin Computer Access, EVAS and Access
Ingenuity are all exhibiting throughout CSUN,
March 16th to 21st, in Los Angeles, CA.  To try
out the new Dolphin Guide version 5 features and
the other 20 plus popular computing functions all
made achievable with Dolphin Guide; visit EVAS at
booth 224 or the Access Ingenuity at booth 271
within the Marriott LAX.  Alternatively you can
request a free 30 day trial by visiting
<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC00UOWH>www.DolphinGuide.com.

Notes to editor:

1.  What is Dolphin Guide?

As the years roll on, the digital divide gets
wider and society is in danger of leaving behind
a generation of hardworking people that simply
haven’t been taught to use a computer.  For most
‘older’ people, computers simply weren’t
available when they were younger.  For others the
sheer complexity of the modern computer leaves
them confused, lost and even
demoralised.  Combine these problems with failing
sight or even total sight loss and surfing the internet seems a distant dream.

Dolphin Guide is designed to take away all these
fears and frustrations by offering a simple menu
system that sits on top of Windows, letting users
achieve their computing goals.  Users can type a
letter listening to Dolphin Guide announce every
letter or word.  If they hear a “quack” and the
user knows they’ve made a spelling mistake.  With
just two keys you can move up and down the
Dolphin Guide menu and listen to your favorite
options, including printing your newly drafted letter.

Dolphin Guide features clear and uncluttered
screens that are designed to keep it simple.  And
for the majority of the population that don't see
as well as they used to, Dolphin Guide allows
users to magnify the screen and zoom in for the
detail with absolute clarity.  It also includes
options to improve contrast by changing the
colors and ensure the screen is crystal clear specifically for the user.

2. About Dolphin Computer Access Ltd

Dolphin Computer Access is one of the largest
companies in the computer access industry, with
over 80 employees in offices in the UK, USA and
Sweden and dealers in over 30 countries
worldwide.  The company offers a complete range
of software solutions, including screen readers,
screen magnifiers, DAISY talking book players and
alternative format creation tools. More
information about Dolphin is available at:
<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC01UOWH>www.YourDolphin.com
.

3. About the Dolphin Computer Acquisition of Software Express

The full press release can be read at
<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC02UOWH>http://www.yourdolphin.com/newsitem.asp?id=295

4. About EVAS

EVAS, serving people with disabilities since
1979, has teamed with Dell to provide Plug & Play
Computer-Based  Solutions specifically designed
for people who are visually, physically, hearing
or learning disabled. Now, people with
disabilities can benefit from EVAS' experience as
a provider of accessible computers and the
superior quality, support and service offered by
Dell. EVAS Dell Xtra Series Systems are tools
that can be used to gain independence –
independence that can open doors to an education
or employment opportunities and a better quality
of life. The systems are specifically designed to
help people with disabilities gain access to one
of today's most powerful and useful forms of
technology, the computer. EVAS' Xtra Series
Systems are based on Dell's Optiplex™ and
Precision™ Desktop PCs and Latitude™ Notebooks.
These Plug & Play Solutions are fully integrated
and run right out of the box with application
software, peripherals and Assistive Technology installed and configured.

For information about EVAS please contact:

Sara Saint Jean
Vice President
EVAS

<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC03UOWH>www.evas.com

800-872-3827 Ext 310

<mailto:ssaintjean at evas.com>ssaintjean at evas.com

5. About Access Ingenuity

Access Ingenuity was founded in January 2002, to
provide assistive technology and complete
accessible solutions designed to meet the needs
of an individual, institution, school, or
organization.  Access Ingenuity offer work-site
evaluations, product sales, system integration,
and training to people with disabilities and
disability support agencies throughout the
U.S.  Access Ingenuity carry a wide variety of
assistive technology devices, backed by a highly
experienced staff with over 30 years experience
in the assistive technology field. Their
expertise is in the area of assistive technology
for low vision and blindness, speech, hearing,
learning disabilities, and physical impairments.
They also specialize in public access solutions
to meet the needs of libraries, schools,
colleges, hospitals, employment centers, and
other public
venues.
<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC04UOWH>http://www.accessingenuity.com/

For information about Dolphin or this press release please contact:

Hazel Shaw
Group Marketing Manager
Dolphin Computer Access

<http://www.SwiftPage4.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2W0LJ92XHQPACFIC05UOWH>www.DolphinGuide.com